Home Page
  • Torver Crescent, Seaburn Dene, Sunderland, SR6 8LG Tel - 0191 5634100

SEN Info and SEND Policy

Special Educational Needs & Disability Co-ordinator                                           Mrs Julie Cruddas                            0191 5634100

At Seaburn Dene Primary School we aim to deliver a curriculum that is relevant, broad and balanced and which meets the educational, social, physical, spiritual and moral needs of all our pupils.  We recognise that in order to achieve equality of opportunity, it will be necessary to offer a differentiated programme of work.  The degree of differentiation will depend on the needs of the pupil.


The Governing Body of Seaburn Dene Primary School has prepared a Special Education Needs statement to enable all pupils with special needs to benefit as fully as possible from the education offered at the school.  The key to achieving successful learning for pupils with special needs is to ensure good practice is available to all.


Special  Educational  Needs and Disabilities Information Report


All Sunderland Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical.

What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. The LA  refer to this as the 'Local Offer'.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

                                             The Special Education Needs Information Report

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.




Please look at the 13 questions below for more information about the Special Education Needs Information Report for Seaburn Dene Primary School.


Question 1
Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?


The Class teacher

Responsible for:

Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo/Inclusion Manager) know as necessary.

•Writing Pupil Progress targets/ Individual Support Plans, and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school’s provision map.

•Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


The SENDCo- name Mrs Julie Cruddas

Responsible for:

•             Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy

•             Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)

•             Ensuring that you are

                 i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

                ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

                iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

•             Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, Autism Outreach, Teacher of the Deaf, Behaviour Team etc.

•             Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of you child’s progress and needs are kept.

•             Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.


The Headteacher – Mr John Howe

Responsible for:

• The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

• The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo/Inclusion Manager and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

• The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.


The SEND Governor Mrs Cattanach

Responsible for:

• Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.


School contact telephone number  0191 5634100


Question 2
What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?


a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

• That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

• Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

• Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.

• Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific group work

Intervention which may:

• Take place in the classroom or outside.

• Be carried out by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant (TA).

  • Working with an individual child or as part of a small focus group.


b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g .Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means they have been identified by the SENDCo /Inclusion Manager/ class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS), Language and Learning Team, Behaviour Team.

What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g . a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


c)  Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Educational Psychology service

For your child this would mean:

•The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

•After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

•After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

•The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

•The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


Question 3
How  can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

• If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo).

• The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.

Question 4
will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?


If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

• listen to any concerns you may have

• plan any additional support your child may need

• discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning


Question 5
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?


The school budget, received from Sunderland LA, includes  some money for supporting children with SEND.

• The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

• The Head Teacher and the SENDCo  discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

the children getting extra support already

the children needing extra support

the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.

the child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; although this may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.

• The School identifies the needs of our pupils on a provision map which for SEND pupils identifies all resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


Question 6
Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in our school?

School provision

• Teaching Assistants / Learning Support

• Breakfast club / After school club

• School clubs

• Attendance Officer


Local Authority Provision delivered in school

 • Autism Outreach Service

• Educational Psychology Service

 • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

  • Behaviour Team

• SENDIASS-special education needs and disability information advice and support services.

• Language and Learning Team


Health Provision delivered in school

• Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.

• School Nurse

• Occupational Therapy

• Physiotherapy


Question 7
How  are the teachers in school helped to work with children a SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCO’S job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

• The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and language difficulties as appropriate.

• Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AOT) service, MAKATON training, Approaches and strategies for teaching children with ASD.



Question 8
How  will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

 •Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

 •Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

 •Planning and teaching will be differentiated and adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.


Question 9
will we measure the progress of your child in school?


Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

• His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term in reading, writing and numeracy.

• If your child is in Year 1 or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail.

• At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally. In year 1 the National Phonics screening check will be administered.

• Children may have an Support Plan / personal targets which will be reviewed termly, and a future plan made.

• The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.

 • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.


Question 10
What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?


The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

• The  SENDCo  is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

• All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

•   Personal progress targets/ Support Plans will be reviewed with your involvement.

•  Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

•  A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


Question 11
How is Seaburn Dene Primary School accessible to children with SEND?


The building is accessible by wheelchair. Although the building internally does have stairs to access the hall, there is a portable ramp to aid access here. There are changing and showering facilities in FSU. There is a disabled toilet in the year 2/3 area of the school.

• We ensure, where ever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

• After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.

• Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.


Question 12
will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?


We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that is needed to be made for your child.

• We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.


When moving classes in school:

• Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and wherever possible, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Support plans will be shared with the new teacher.

• If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.


In Year 6:

• The Inclusion Manager will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of their secondary school.

• Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

• Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in our school. If the child has a support worker, they will visit the new placement together, as part of a carefully planned program to ensure good transition.

  • Outside agencies will be involved where required eg. AOT to devise a passport in prearation for secondary school.


Question 13
What Emotional and Social Development support we have for a child with a SEND?

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have Emotional and Social Development needs, that will require support in school.


• The Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils is very important to us.

• We have a robust Safeguarding Policy in place, we follow National & LA Guidelines.

• We have a robust Pastoral Care Discipline Policy in place.

• The Head teacher, Deputy Head teacher and all staff continually monitor the Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils. 

• We are an Anti bullying school.

• We have a Lunchtime buddies to support the younger children and encourage them to play. We have a school council, children know those children who are part of the school council and can approach them at any time should they have any worries or concerns.